Much research exists showing the benefits of true, precision strip-tillage – including ideal seedbed conditions, precision nutrient placement, and optimal rootzone conditions. If you’re contemplating a test or even a switch to a strip-tillage system, have a look at some of these sources for info:
- From the 2014 National Strip Till Conference: University of Minnesota educator Jodi DeJong-Hughes discusses 5 considerations for new strip tillers here.
- Some “oldie but goodie” discussions from way back in 2008, Brian and Darren Hefty with AG-PHD talk about strip-till seedbed conditions here, and the importance of strip-tillage fertilizer placement here.
- The Hefty brothers cover some more details and their strip-till experience here, offer some answers to frequent strip till questions here, and talk about splitting rows here. They offer many more strip-till related videos as well, have a look at their YouTube channel and scroll through the videos.
- Iowa State University agronomist Joel DeJong discusses the conservation benefits of strip till here. Our friend Wim is having great success with a similar method in Europe with his injector system, the MaxPlacer.
- No-Till Farmer magazine published lists of important strip-tillage advice here and here.
As always, we’d love to hear your specific questions too! Email randy.haarberg at orthman dot com.